Scholarly Journal Articles often:
- are written by experts (professors and researchers)
- are intended to be read by other professors, researchers and students.
- use specialized or technical vocabulary for the field.
- include lengthy list of references (citations).
- are longer and focus more in-depth on research
- have little or no advertising.
Popular Magazine Articles often
- are written by journalists.
- are intended to be read by the general public
- use language understood by most readers
- rarely include citations for their sources
- are shorter and general in focus
- have a lot of advertising.